There is very little evidence that it was ever a Templar fortress,
but plenty that it was a Cathar
stronghold at the time of the war against the Cathars known as the
Crusade. Le Bézu is even mentioned in the The
Song of the Crusade, though no one realised this until the twentieth
century when a local historian traced back the unlikely mutation
of the name from Le Bézu to Albedun.
The seigneurs were a family called Sermon, a branch of the famous
Aniorts, Viscounts of the Plateau de Sault. It is known that Cathar
bishops took refuge here.
From the castle you have spectacular views, including the Pyrenees,
Rennes le château and the mountain of Bugarach.
Le castle was abandoned in the Autumn of 1210, along with Coustaussa
at the approach of the Crusader troops of Simon-de-Montfort. The
seigneur Bernard Sermon, became a faidit, and often visited Montségur,
spending the rest of his time attacking the French invaders.
He openly rebelled in 1211, but later made his submission to Simon
de Montfort who reoccupied the castle.
Guilhabert de Castres a Cathar bishop lived here for three years
(from Easter 1229 to 1232) at the château d'Albedun, under
the protection of Bernard Sermon le Vieux before seeking refuge
It appears that the château of Le Bézu was never besieged,
but it surrendered without a fight after the demoralising fall of
the Château of Termes
de Montfort in 1210.
video of the Château d'Albedun at Le Bézu