Château de Peyrepertuse (
Castèl de Pèirapertusa)
Peyrepertuse is a ruined fortress and one of the Cathar castles
of the Languedoc located in the French Pyrénées in
the commune of Duilhac-sous-Peyrepertuse, in the Aude département.
It was associated with the Counts of Barcelona, later kings of
The name Peyrepetuse is derived from Pèirapertusa,
meaning Pierced Rock.
The lower part of the castle was built on a strategic location
by the kings of Aragon in the 11th Century and the higher part by
the French King Louis IX later on, after the area was annexed to
France. The two castles are linked together by a staircase. The
castle lost importance as a strategic castle when the border between
France and Spain was moved in 1659, causing the castle to be abandoned.
The castle ruins are impressive, set high on a defensive crag.
From the approach road it is difficult to see where the rock stops
and the castle starts.
The castle was built in the 11th century on a site dominating the
and the sea. The main part, resembles the prow of a ship,
running along the top of an 800m (2,600 ft) high crag. It
houses the church of Sainte-Marie and the governor's residence.
It was never subjected to attack during the Crusade against the
Cathars. Nevertheless, it was surrendered to the French Crusaders
22nd of May 1217, reclaimed again as the balance of power changed.
Guilhem de Peyrepertuse, was excommunicated in 1224 because of his
refusal to submit to the Catholic Crusaders. He surrendered after
the siege of Carcassonne (the Viscount of Carcassonne, Guilhem's
suzerain, having failed to retake Carcassonne from the French invaders
in 1240). Peyrepertuse became a French possession the same year.
In 1258, the Treaty of Corbeil defined the border between France
and Aragon for four centuries : Peyrepertuse became a royal French
fortress at the southern border of the French kingdom. At the end
of the 13th century, it was a powerful stronghold with strong defences.
During the winter of 1367-1368, Peyrepertuse was the refuge of Henri
de Trastamare, claimant to the crown of Castille.
See separate sections below on:
Address / Maps