Bram is a commune in the Aude department in the Languedoc-Roussillon
region in southern France. The area is part of the old province
In 60 BCE, the Romans began construction of a settlement here
and called it Eburomagus. They selected the area because of the
climate, combining the warmth of the Mediterranean with the freshness
of the Atlantic. The present D33 road to the village follows the
old Roman road.
The modern town dates from the 12th century, built around its fortress
church. The only way into the village was by a gate to the east.
Bram is a circulade, its concentric rings once defended by walls
and now evidenced by concentric roads.
Bram was a centre of Cathar belief. In 1210, the head of the Crusaders,
de Montfort, came here from Montlaur accompanied by the Spanish
monk Dominic Guzman (now St. Dominic).
Simon took the citadel of Bram after three days of siege. He then
had the nose and upper lip cut from each prisoner, and had their
eyes gauged out.. For one he left one eye eye so he could guide
this lamentable cohort accross the country to seek refuge at Lastours,
the intention being to terrify the Lords of Lastours into surrender.